For the cake:
- 1 cup treacle sugar
- 125 g butter (real butter!)
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 cup sour cream or buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (I love apple cider vinegar)
- Preheat oven to 180º C
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add eggs one by one
- Add vanilla essence and buttermilk
- Sift dry ingredients and add to wet mixture
- Pour in 24cm pan and bake for 30 minutes
Strawberry mousse filling:
- 2x175ml tubs of strawberry yogurt
- 1 teaspoon red food colouring
- ½ cup cream, beaten
- 3 teaspoons gelatine
- 3 tablespoons water
- Beat cream until thick
- Add yogurt
- Dissolve gelatine in water by zapping in microwave for a few seconds
- Fold gelatine mixture in creamy yogurt mixture.
- Put in fridge to set
Putting the cake together:
- When the cake has cooled down, cut in three thin layers.
- Line cake tin with cling film.
- Put one layer back in tin and spread half of the strawberry mousse filling.
- Put second layer and spread the other half of the mousse filling
- Put third layer on top, cover with cling film, put a heavy plate on top
- Then put in fridge for a few hours.
Chocolate Ganache icing:
- 2 slabs good quality dark chocolate
- 1 cup cream
- Scald the cream, but to not boil
- Remove from stove
- Break chocolate in blocks and add to hot cream
- Slowly stir until all the chocolate has melted
When cake has been removed from pan, place on plate and slowly pour chocolate ganache over cake. Use your spatula to spread it evenly.
Decorate with either strawberries, raspberries, fresh edible flowers or sugar flowers.